VAREX Universal Oval Muffler 3" Inlet / 4" Outlet (VMK6-300)
VAREX Universal Adjustable Muffler
VAREX™ mufflers utilize our patented* technology to combine both the design of the stock muffler and the performance muffler into one single compact unit. A sophisticated butterfly valve mechanism is implemented to redirect the exhaust gas flow and vary be-tween the two. For higher sound level, the exhaust flows are directed through the opening path and produces maximum power with a robust sound level (or the “sports car note”) and near-zero resistance.
Whilst for lower sound level, the exhaust flows are directed through the chambered path (similar design with the stock muffler), and produces minimum sound level that gives you the best in-car comfort. Angle of the valve is also controllable, which can be adjusted to stop at various points between sports mode and silence mode. This gives you further freedom to set the optimal sound level according to your desired preference.
- STREET MODE - Setting your Varex muffler in ‘Street mode’ enables lower sound levels and maximum discretion, as exhaust gases are directed through a chambered path as would a ‘stock’ muffler
- RACE MODE - For greater power output and sound level, exhaust gases are directed through the opening path and produce maximum power with a robust sound level (or the ‘sports car’ note) and near-zero resistance
- IN BETWEEN - As the angle of the valve is adjustable, it can be adjusted to stop at various points between sports mode and silence mode. This gives you further freedom to set the optimal sound level according to your desired preference
- Easy Installation, no hard-wiring required (in-car 12v socket included) for plug and play functionality
- Durable construction with water resistant plugs
- Dual mufflers control harness available
- Stylish remote key pad
- Diameter [in]: 6 x 10
- Outlet Length [in]: 7
- Outlet Style: Double Wall
- Length [in]: 15
- Inlet Outer Diameter [in]: 3
- Outlet Outer Diameter [in]: 4
What's In The Box?
- (1) Universal VAREX Muffler
- Manufacturer Limited Warranty
This muffler was delivered quickly and installed very smoothly.
Upon opening, I was quite happy with the overall quality; not only of the product itself, but the packaging as well. They make sure these get to you in pristine condition.
As far as the performance and sound of the Varex VMK6-300, I couldn't be happier. It fits my 2g GSX like a glove, combined with the nice double walled tip makes for a quality, almost factory-aftermarket appearance. Fully open, my car sounds almost the same as when I had a 3" N1 style muffler, but with a lower rumble. It sounds great. Fully silenced, the only thing you can hear is the sweet iconic 4g hum. It does an excellent job at eliminating audible exhaust sounds, better so on the outside than on the inside. There is actually more cabin drone on the highway with the valve closed than with it open, but that's to be expected with the added restriction. It does what it is meant to do which is quiet the car down when needed.
As far as restriction, closing the valve will slow down spool, and higher boost levels and RPMs should be avoided and are unnecessary when trying to be quiet anyways. I have built up to around 15psi in lower gears up to about 5k RPM with it closed with no issues, but there really is no need for that. Driving/shifting at lower speeds is smoother with the valve closed. RPMs float down smoother between shifts, and there is almost no bucking around in parking lots which is a common issue when running a lighter clutch/flywheel with more aggressive camshafts. Just an observation.
Overall, this muffler is a great piece and for the price and convenience you can get it here, I would recommend it to anyone looking to quiet down a mildly modded street car and retain the performance and sound of a 3" exhaust. This specific model looks real nice in my opinion as well.