GrimmSpeed Top Mount Intercooler Kit - Silver | 2008-2014 Subaru WRX (090010)
WRX Top Mount Intercooler Kit
GrimmSpeed setup testing to simulate a real world scenario that's typically demanding of an intercooler. The test vehicle is a 2012 WRX with a GrimmSpeed down-pipe, boost control solenoid, prototype intake and professional tuning. On a closed course, they accelerated in 3rd gear from 3000rpm to redline repeatedly, with 5-8 seconds between runs. Temperature was logged via k-type thermocouples between the turbo and the intercooler and between the intercooler and the throttle body on both units. Ambient temperature for both tests was between 20 and 22 degrees F.
The results speak for themselves, but here's a breakdown. The phase differences between the runs are a result of how quickly the driver could safely get the car back down to speed for another run, but the important thing to notice is the magnitude of the temperature fluctuations. Predictably, both intercoolers were seeing similar Pre-IC temperatures on each run (180-190F peak), but while the GrimmSpeed Uncoated TMIC kept Post-IC temperatures between 30-40F the entire time, the OEM TMIC fluctuated between 35-75F. This is the kind of consistent cooling that you should expect from a high quality TMIC and is a function of the geometry and design of the bar and plate core. GrimmSpeed's high density core has a massive heat transfer surface area but maintains a large enough cross-sectional flow area that there's very little added restriction.
- 17.5in x 8.7in x 3.5in Cross Flow Core - careful balance of high heat transfer and low pressure drop
- Cast Aluminum End Tanks - machined BPV flange for precision fit and perfect seal
- 5-Ply Silicone Couplers - custom molded and reinforced for demanding environments
- Vibration Isolation Mounting - keep the intercooler system from fatigue due to vibration
- Stainless Steel BPV Studs - avoid the risk of damaging fragile aluminum threads
- Cleaned, Inspected and Sealed Prior to Shipping - prevent motor damage due to foreign matter