Crazy 1992 Eagle Talon TSI Build | Big Turbo, All-Wheel Drive, No Jokes.
Posted on 19 April 2014
AWD Eagle Talon makes consistent passes in the low 9's winning Battle of the Imports and Import Drag Racing Circuit, making it a mean 1G DSM.
Back in 2008, Jake M. built his 1992 Eagle Talon TSI with one goal: to go fast, and win races. It is with this goal in mind that he built one of the baddest 1G DSM's we've ever seen. A massive Garrett GT4202 was added alongside a 100 shot of nitrous. The Talon was dubbed EvilEagle by friends and foes alike, and ran 8.66 @ 165mph with this setup. Unfortunately, transfer case and rear end issues limited him to only a few passes, but the thrill of racing was in his blood.
Fast forward to 2013 when Jake decided it was time to open up the Talon, throw some new parts at it, and finally make a name for himself and the Evil Eagle. The motor was built to 10:1 compression with a Precision Turbo 4276 and a custom MAP Divided T4 Manifold. The drivetrain was re-constructed with a built Automatic transmission and various Kiggly components. The drivetrain makes a huge difference according to Jake, who says "the car is ten times more reliable with the Kiggly and Hollands drivetrain parts ... we have over thirty low 9-second passes without one single drivetrain failure." A reliable AND fast Eagle Talon TSI build? Sounds almost too good to be true!
Here is the complete build sheet, including a ton of parts sourced from MAPerforance:
- 10:1 compression 2.0L
- custom built 10:1 compression arias pistons
- FFWD aluminum rods
- OEM 2.0L Crank
- Kiggly crank girdle
- Kiggly high pressure beehive valve springs
- super tech standard sized valves
- GSC S3 cams
- AEM tru time cam gears
- Kiggly HLA pressure regulator
- H11 head studs
- Holland's performance built 2g automatic transmission
- Precision billet torque converter
- Kiggly flexplate
- Kiggly 2g into 1g install kit
- DSS 3.5" aluminum driveshaft
- Precision Turbo and Engine T4 divided 4276 (76mm turbo, 1.28 a/r exhaust)
- MAP T4 divided top mount manifold
- Tial 38mm wastegate 4" side exit exhaust
- JMFabrications drag version intake manifold
- JMfabrications 4" thick garrett core FMIC
- Tial-Q Blow Off Valve
- Magnafuel prostar fuel pump
- FIC 2150cc injectors
- JMfabrications fuel cell E98 fuel Weldon fuel pressure regulator NX single fogger nitrous for stalling up (100 shot dry)
- D2 drag coil overs
- Hoosier 15x26x8 drag slicks
- rota 15x7 slipstream wheels.
Induction / Turbo Setup
Electronics and Gauges
The car will be back on the track for more action this coming summer. Jake was slowed down by some minor issues including a blown head gasket and a random misfire that has developed more recently. After he gets the bugs out, he hopes to hit the glorious 8.5s mark consistently and reliably with nitrous-oxide only being used during spool / staging. Stay tuned to our blog as we continue to highlight the impressive builds of our dedicated customers. If you'd like to have your car featured, its easy! Simply hop over to our MAP Customer Rides page and create a build thread for your car. We just might decide to do a write up if we like it enough, though we doubt you'll be able to top this sick Eagle Talon TSI build! [gallery ids="9214,9213,9216"]